When I recently went to NYC, I saw a CREATIVE GENIUS at work. No darlings – I wasn’t looking in the mirror….but paid a visit to the FABULOUS workshop of Atsuyo et Akiko. I had a lovely chat to one half of the dynamic duo Akiko Mukae, and she showed me around her Brooklyn studio. And boy was it interesting! Look…
Atusoyo et Akiko Kids Accessories
Akiko - genius at work!
Both the girls are from Japan and met in NYC 15 years ago. They started up the brand 5 years ago when Akiko’s daughter was 8 and Akiko wanted to dress her up in something cute – but not too expensive. Being from a fine art background – she began by screen-printing tees. And the rest as they say – is kids fashion history!
Atusoyo et Akiko Kids Accessories
Where it all happens...
The line covers kids’ clothes, home accessories, dolls and jewellery. Their raison d’etre is to produce edgy classics that are not too trend-led or commercial. They don’t do ‘seasonal collections’ per se. Inspiration comes from everyday life – museums, flea markets – the French language is a big part of their collections. Bien sur!
Atusoyo et Akiko Kids Accessories
The nerve-centre of stylish necklace making!
And they have done some fantastic, high profile collaborations. Late last year, they were approached by the behemoths that are The Walt Disney Company who wanted to be more active in the high end marketplace. So they did some lovely Winnie the Pooh, Aristiocats, 101 Dalmatians and Mickey & Minnie Mouse pieces like this…
Atusoyo et Akiko Kids Accessories
How to make Winnie the Pooh cool and not twee!
As well as erm..slightly lesser known yet BRILLIANT artists and creatives – such as Jess Brown (master doll maker – who makes for Wovenplay, Bottega Veneta and others), Coral & Tusk (textile designer) and NY artist Tamar Mogendorff.
Atusoyo et Akiko Kids Accessories
These sum up my thoughts on everything Atsuyo et Akiko make!
I asked Akiko for a scoop. Not chocolate chip, or other calorific horrors. Fashion, darlings. Just for you…for AW13 you can expect to see a Bambi line as The Walt Disney Company and Atsuyo et Akiko collaborate again. I am SUPER DUPER excited to see what they dream up! It will showcase at the trade show Playtime Paris in January 2013. I’ll be all over it like a very stylish rash!
Disney Bambi Collaboration Atsuyo et Akiko
Bambinspiration!
I had no control over myself (let’s call it STYLE-INCONTINENCE) and bought way too many pieces so I have decided because I love y’all – to give two stunning necklaces away!
Atusoyo et Akiko Kids Accessories
I went MAD!

For original Post SEE > 
http://www.kidstylejunkie.com/spaces-blog/atsuyo-et-akiko-kids-clothes-homeware-accessories/