Nici_hauptstadtmutti
Nici Zinell (42) owns the fashion label Noé & Zoë and is mom of Sam (23), Zizou (9), Zoé (7), and Zavi (4). We talked about her difficulties to take a break, why it’s a good idea to get permanent help at home, and how to let go of the kids.
Hauptstadtmutti: Nici, when did you launch Noé & Zoë?
Nici: We founded the label in 2009, but launched the first collection in 2011. We needed those two years because of the babies.
Hauptstadtmutti: What did you work before?
Nici: I had studied fashion design and worked as a costume designer for movies. With the babies, however, came the wish to set up my own business. I started out with blankets and toys, and my friends kept saying: That’s beautiful, please make one for me, I want to have it! And more and more friends came. So I decided to do it professionally.
Hauptstadtmutti: And you got tired of the movie business?
Nici: Not so fast, I kept working for film and TV until 2013. This is the first year where I concentrate full on Noé & Zoë.
Hauptstadtmutti: Why?
Nici: It was hard to juggle the job, the label, and the family. I couldn’t meet all the needs. Noé & Zoë kept growing, so I wasn’t able anymore to dedicate my time to other things. Finally my husband and I decided that I should concentrate on the label and push it forward.
Hauptstadtmutti: How does it feel?
Nici: Great, but it’s a lot of work. Nevertheless I got more time and energy to fulfill my vision with the collection. Finally I can do everything I want, have a nice photo shooting or produce a good catalogue. There was never time for things like that before. You gotta focus, then everything works out better.
Hauptstadtmutti: How many hours per week do you work?
Nici: About 60, but it’s 24/7, actually. I always have my eyes on my iPhone, checking my e-mails. I have a lot of customers in the USA or in Japan, so due to the time difference I wake up to a full inbox every morning.
Hauptstadtmutti: Do you have more customers abroad than in Germany?
Nici: A lot more. The Germans need longer to open up to new stuff. Compared to other countries we needed two or three years longer to get into the German market.
Hauptstadtmutti: Where do most of your customers come from?
Nici: Most come from the USA, east and west coast. They are very adventurous there. But also Australia, Japan, and South Korea are great markets for us.
Hauptstadtmutti: Where do you manufacture the clothes?
Nici: Mainly in Turkey and Poland. But we’re looking for more facilities.
Hauptstadtmutti: What about the material, is Noé & Zoë organic?
Nici: Part of the new collection is made of organic cotton. We’ve always made sure that the colors are ecologically harmless. However, my goal is to be organic in every way someday. Unfortunately it’s a matter of money. Lots of customers care more for a cheap price.
Nici_hauptstadtmutti
Hauptstadtmutti: Is this a German thing?
Nici: Not at all. I came to learn that the Danes and Skandinavians are very price-conscious. We are too expensive for them already.
Hauptstadtmutti: A lot of new labels surfaced over the last five years: Mini Rodini, Bob Choses, et cetera. Do you benefit from the boom?
Nici: I’d say so. We fit in with those brands. I think that’s great, but I’m also wondering why all those new online shops offer more or less the same. However, I think we positioned our designs in a great spot.
Hauptstadtmutti: You’re working 60 hours a week, with four kids at home. How do you do it?
Nici: I got a great man! My husband helps a lot and supports me. As well as my oldest son Sam, whenever he is in Berlin. Also, we always have an au pair, or a nephew, or my mom with us, who help run the family. We couldn’t make it without them.
Hauptstadtmutti: What about alone time with your husband?
Nici: We certainly don’t have a lot of that and always think it should be more. But it’s getting easier the older the kids get.
Hauptstadtmutti: Was it hard for you to let go of Sam?
Nici: No, I love it. We threw him out, more or less. He didn’t want to leave, but now he loves it. It’s always so much fun when he comes visiting us. We look forward to seeing each other.
Hauptstadtmutti: Hauptstadtmutti: What’s your advice for families with a lot of work and a lot of kids?
Nici: If you have the space, get help to live with you. Of course, not everyone is a fan of that, but I personally love it. It’s great to have another person living with you, contributing his personality and his support. Otherwise, it’s all a matter of organization, you have to support and talk to each other. Also you need a good network of friends, who take care of the children from time to time. As soon as the kids go to school family life is getting a bit easier. And it’s important to learn how to let go of them. Vacation time is a big issue in that matter: This year we couldn’t have a family vacation with all of us. Apart from that we don’t miss out on anything, we’re happy!
Nici_hauptstadtmutti_3
Hauptstadtmutti: Are you able to take a break?
Nici: It’s hard for me. I’m trying, but as soon as I get a hold of that phone, it’s over. I started to not look at it over the weekends. Just recently we went to the Baltic Sea for three days, and I didn’t bring my phone. It felt like one week of vacation.
Hauptstadtmutti: You’re running the shop alone, right?
Nici: I’m still a one-woman-show, but I’m trying to devolve several tasks to others. I would like to do more, but all those e-mails are getting in my way. So I’m about to set up a team for marketing, sales, and accounting – according to what my budget allows me.
Hauptstadtmutti: But there are already some people running around here, feels like a little factory.
Nici: At the moment we are four. I have a student, and help with the cut and production. I’m not alone, but all the responsibility lies with me.
Hauptstadtmutti: Where do you get your inspiration?
Nici: From my kids. Zoë is always trying on things and giving her opinion. And my little one wants to keep everything. I’m always paying attention to what my kids like, but also get inspiration on Pinterest or on the streets of Berlin. There are great things to see everywhere, and they are all running around in my head, slowly forming a collection.
Hauptstadtmutti: What advice can you give to other moms on how to relax?
Nici: For me a glass of wine and a bathtub work. Just lock the door and be with yourself for a while. Or do sports like Yoga or dancing. I love to dance, but unfortunately I don’t get to do it as often as I would like. Sometimes, however, I’m just happy when I’m home.
Dear Nici, thank you very much!
Photography: Claudia Kahnt   Interview: Isa Grütering   Text: Yvonne Vavrá
-----
For the original post, see Hauptstadtmutti.de blog

Shop Noe & Zoe at Orange Mayonnaise !